Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Door of Many Colors

I decided a while ago that I wanted to paint our front door a happy, cheerful color.  It's been so dark and blah for so long, so I  finally decided to do something about it!  I am in love with the bright colored front doors I've been seeing all over Pinterest, but because of the style of our house (dark colors, lots of stone and stucco) those bold colors wouldn't really go with our house.  I decided that a mustard yellow would be a good choice.  Well, I feel like I've been paint cursed lately...every color I have been choosing is all wrong, not even close to right.  So, we painted, and I freaked, we painted again, and I freaked not as much.  And now I'm just sitting...waiting to decide if I like it or need to paint, AGAIN!  Here is where we started:




Nothing too exciting here...its funny how the front porch in often neglected compared to the rest of the house.  I was that way for almost 6 years! 

This is the after:


This was the freaking out point...much brighter than I was hoping for and it just seemed so bright!  So, I thought that if we painted the door frame a lighter, more neutral color it would tone down the yellow a lot.  Here is the after:



Much better...but again, the color was not what I was hoping for! It was a lot lighter than I thought, but I am at the point of sitting and waiting right now:)  Just waiting to see how I really feel about it after a few days.  But after getting a few fun porch accessories, it definitely helps to make the space feel finished.





Hmmm...still thinking...


 I loved this fun little basket from Target...the chalkboard label is so fun!



         The chair is from TJ...the outdoor pillow is from Target (on sale now for $11)


              I have had the rug for a few years, it is from Target



The wreath is a DIY out of burlap...something that I am still thinking about!  So, there you have it!  Not all projects go exactly how you want or expect.  And thats ok...somethimes it takes a few tries. So any opinions from you that will help me?! 

12 comments:

Kevin Kim Cade Ellie said...

Love the second change !!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Love the brown & yellow...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Cherry said...

The Door turned out PERFECT! I like really really really like it with the frame painted different! Don't change it! It looks GREAT!

The Hyde Life said...

LOVE THE YELLOW DOOR!! And the accessories just add so much cuteness!! Seriously adorable! LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

Brown already looks good, but yellow is a lot better. The latter creates a livelier aura, while the former, a serious one. Anyway, you can always accessorize your front door to add more charm to your exteriors.

-Roofing and More Inc.

Gail White said...

You inspired me to paint our front door (or should I say, inspired me to beg Jon to paint it)! Color of choice was a deep purple. I think the results are both elegant and charming, and so much more interesting than the blah beige. Thanks, Melissa! I love your ideas!

Unknown said...

Oh thanks Gail! I noticed your door the other day, it looks wonderful! I love the purple!! and yes, I agree, it is so much better than beige:) thanks for reading, you are so sweet!

Unknown said...

Hi Dear, have you been certainly visiting this site daily, if that's the case you then will certainly get good knowledge. www.blackettsdoors.co.uk

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Melissa Rey Styles | Theme by BloggerThemes & frostpress | Built by NTWD